Ensuring exceptional dental health involves more than just the basic act of brushing your teeth twice a day. At the office of Designing Smiles Dentistry, we offer a comprehensive range of advanced dental services, covering everything from essential preventive care to cutting-edge emergency, restorative, and cosmetic treatments.
Here, we’ll delve into some fundamental habits to maintain your oral well-being:
1. Treat Your Toothbrush Right: Proper toothbrush care is essential. After each use, rinse the bristles thoroughly to remove any food particles and toothpaste residue. Store your toothbrush in an upright position to encourage good airflow. Avoid enclosing the bristles in plastic protectors, as bacteria thrive in moist environments. It’s advisable to replace your toothbrush every three to four months, or when the bristles show signs of bending or fraying. The same rules apply to your kids’ toothbrushes.
2. Clean Your Tongue: Take a closer look at your tongue, and you’ll notice its textured surface with numerous creases and tiny crevices. These can trap food residue and bacteria, potentially leading to bad breath and oral health issues. Combat this by using a tongue scraper or a toothbrush with a dedicated tongue cleaner on the opposite side of the bristles. This practice can significantly improve your oral health.
3. Monitor Your Beverage Choices: Be mindful of what you drink. Diet and non-diet sodas, as well as sports drinks, are laden with acids that can erode enamel and irritate gums. Juices, whether natural or artificially sweetened, contain sugars that easily adhere to teeth, increasing the risk of cavities. Reduce consumption of soda and acidic juices, and opt for water and milk as healthier alternatives.
4. Avoid Tobacco Products: It’s crucial to steer clear of tobacco products altogether. Not only do cigarettes stain and weaken teeth, but chewing tobacco is a major contributor to oral cancer and tissue damage.
5. Mind Your Diet: Pay attention to your dietary choices. Focus on foods and beverages rich in calcium, vitamins A and C, as well as antioxidants found in raw vegetables, fruits, cheese, and yogurt.
6. Preserve Natural Teeth: Once a permanent tooth is lost, it’s irreplaceable. While dentures and implants are available, natural teeth are always the preferred option. Prioritize preserving your natural teeth whenever possible.
From routine cleanings and checkups to addressing toothaches and cavities, Designing Smiles Dentistry employs advanced diagnostic tools and treatments. To schedule an appointment and embark on your journey to superior dental health, don’t hesitate to give us a call today.