Losing baby teeth typically begins around the age of 6 and continues until around age 12. Considering that the average American lives well into their 70s, that’s a substantial period to maintain good oral health. The foundation of oral health starts with clean teeth. Keeping the areas where your teeth meet your gums clean can prevent gum disease, while maintaining clean tooth surfaces can help ward off cavities and gum disease.
At Designing Smiles Dentistry, our skilled dentists are fully equipped to provide you with top-notch care to preserve and enhance your oral health. We leverage cutting-edge knowledge and technology to meticulously plan and execute your treatment with precision.
Here are some essential tooth-brushing tips:
- Brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes each time. Don’t forget to clean your tongue, which can harbor bacteria, using either a toothbrush or a tongue scraper.
- Choose a fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush that comfortably fits your mouth. Electric or battery-operated toothbrushes have been shown to reduce plaque and gingivitis more effectively than manual brushing.
- Brush gently using short, circular back-and-forth motions. Avoid using hard bristles, as they can harm your gums.
- Store your toothbrush in an upright position and allow it to air-dry.
- Replace your toothbrush or the head of your electric/battery-operated toothbrush every three months.
- Floss at least once daily. Floss reaches the bacteria and food particles in the tight spaces between your teeth and beneath the gum line, which a toothbrush can’t access. Following up with a water irrigator like a WaterPik is even more effective.
At Designing Smiles Dentistry, we provide a comprehensive overview of all available options and deliver the outcomes you desire. If you’d like to learn more about our services, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us today. Your path to optimal oral health starts here!